Author Topic: Woman gets stuck in cave and traps tour group  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Skywalker

• Village Drunks
    • View Profile
    • http://thestompinggrounds.tripod.com
    • Email
Woman gets stuck in cave and traps tour group
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
Notice how they don't say where she was from... my bets are on good ol' U S of A

----------------------------------------------------------------

[size=]Stuck woman traps SA cave group [/size]

An overweight woman who got stuck in a South African cave trapped 22 fellow tourists for more than 10 hours and had to be prised free with liquid paraffin.

The woman became trapped in the Tunnel of Love obstacle in the Cango Caves in Western Cape on New Year's Day.

The caves' manager said the woman had been warned she might not be suitable but she insisted on trying.

One of those trapped was a diabetic who had to be brought insulin. The woman and the other tourists were unhurt.

The rescue operation involved several ambulance teams and a helicopter.

Hein Gerstner, manager of Cango Caves, told the BBC it was an "expensive exercise" that could cost 40,000 rand ($5,700).

"We don't know yet who will foot the bill," he said.

The ordeal began when the woman became stuck just after noon on New Year's Day.

Mr Gerstner said the woman was "told at the ticket office that she was too big to take part in the specific section".

He said she was again warned by the guide but that it was "very difficult to discriminate".

Mr Gerstner said: "The obstacle has a narrow base. She lost her footing and went down in a splits position. There was no way she could get her body weight up."

But he said she was young and remained mentally strong throughout and the other tourists took the ordeal "exceptionally well".

The tourists, including two asthmatic children, were given blankets, water and chocolate bars as the rescue proceeded.

One rescuer was able to climb over the woman to deliver insulin to the diabetic.

No drilling equipment was needed and the woman was eventually freed with a pulley and paraffin used to grease the surface at about 2320.

She was taken to hospital but is not injured and is expected to be released on Tuesday.

Mr Gerstner said: "We believe what goes in, must come out again. People get stuck all the time - that's one of the unfortunate things that happen, it's part of the adventure."

However, he said the caves would consider more stringent measures for those entering.

Offline Mikal

• A-Team
    • MSN Messenger - mikegoodwin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 07:09:35 PM »
It's a god damn fat epidemic. I say we force feed every fat bastard the trans-fats they love so much, till they explode from fatness. Then we take all the fat they have expelled and use it to power a new generation of hybrid vehicles powered by fat people lard. There has to be almost as much fat on fat people as there is oil in the ground. Ok people, write your local MLA and MP, let's get this ball rolling!
Only Jack Van Impe can save us now... PRAISE HIM!

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • http://www.humpfest.ca
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »
If I was one of the people stuck in that cave I wouldn't have made it.  Ten hours of straight laughing my ass off would have killed me.

Did anyone notice it was called the Tunnel of Love obstacle?  I would not have made it past the rescuers greasing her up to remove her from the love tunnel.  Death by laughter.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some death to defy.

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:58:19 PM »
Quote from: Drew
Did anyone notice it was called the Tunnel of Love obstacle?

So I take it no one did notice.  Jerks.

Offline Mikal

• A-Team
    • MSN Messenger - mikegoodwin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
No, I didn't notice, but it is very funny Andrew.
Only Jack Van Impe can save us now... PRAISE HIM!

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:05:17 PM »
Vindication!