Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Aquabat

• Space Cowboys
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/infamousindustries
The Dark Knight
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
I was fortunate enough to see the new Batman film opening weekend.  While the lines were out the door to buy in line, Diane went online - suckers.
With so much hype there is always the fear of anything having to live up to it, but unlike Star Wars episode I, and its impossible hype, The Dark Knight actually met, dare exceeded the hype for me.  This film could probably run midnight and 2am shows on weekends for the next 3 months.

There is no doubt that we are living in a Golden age of comic book movies.  Idol worship of the tales of these fictitious characters has never been better.  We somehow lived through the high production, high box office revenue crap that was Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin. (Horrible movies that seemed to play off of the Adam West version style - It might as well have said "KAPOWIE" AND "ZOIK" everytime Val Kilmer, or George Clooney hit someone - because it was that bad.

If you need a reminder of how bad, check the link on Mr. Freeze here:  http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1649694

We are I'm hoping this set the bar for the super-hero genre - no more millions of dollars to make pieces of shit like Daredevil, Elektra, The Fantastic 4 1&2, the 1st Hulk, Ghostrider, Spider-man 2, Spider-man 3, dare I say Spider-man 1.  I'm really hoping this round of DC films does not go the way Marvel did - and they are both improving.

Iron Man was awesome, I'm a huge Robert Downey Jr. fan, and Tony Stark is a rich ass billionaire, starts SHIELD, etc.  Great take on the stories built by Marvel, and a really good film.  I've heard the new Hulk is good too, a relief from the last one.

For the Batman flicks, it seems that they cast a girl that is popular at the time (so they think), but the actresses are so bad, they never seem to work again - Katie Holmes, Alicia Silverstone and Uma Thurman to name a few.

FINALLY: The Dark Knight - I'm getting to it, the line was ridiculous, down the hall for one side of the theatre, out the side door and down the ramp to the back parking lot of Chinook.  The trailers - movie life just gets better, The Watchmen got me intrigued, its based off of a DC comics graphic novel, and looks pretty intense. www.watchmenmovie.com for deets.  I can't wait to see Robert Downey jr. again in the upcoming Tropic Thunder comedy with Ben Stiller and Jack Black.

THE FILM:
Every seen with the Joker I was on the edge of my seat, believe the hype, always creepy, just building this character that you know of, but never really believed until now.  Scenes without him - you miss him.  Ledger steals the show, I won't put details for those of you who haven't seen it yet, but he sells the character so much.
He started the make up design itself, but they added scar tissue around the ends of his mouth to sell the character from knife scars to the sides of his mouth from an abusive father, self-mutilation - you never know, its just this mysterious character that he continuously believe.  It's Ledger's crazy laugh, its his affliction for anarchy, its the way he talks, the way he clicks his mouth.  Its honestly a travesty he doesn't have an encore.  He had started filming The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, a Terry Gilliam movie (Monty Python).

While the TwoFace story was good, Aaron Eckhart (Thank-you for Smoking) sells the role of Harvey Dent well, a likeable public figure locking up the mob, the 2-Face thing, meh.  And his face looked awesome, no cheap purple make-up, and a half leopard print suit, burns, flesh, and bone!!  Maybe it was just the fact that Ledger put everyone else to shame, even in gruesome scenes where he cuts peoples mouths out the side of the mouth, you cringe, and they never ever show it.  I thought the film was over about 3 times, and found it hard to say goodbye to the Joker - glad to see more.

FIN:I can't help but write about the movie, I have never done anything like this before, especially on the gong.  I can't help but re-live scenes and talk about it.  Jaron and I could literally sit in the theatre, 1am at thispoint, and literally watch it again, I'm sure Jay would have to, as he missed 60% of it passed out in the corner.

GO SEE IT!!!! and discuss.
I'm on Fire - And Now I Think I'm Ready,
To Bust a Move - Check it Out I'm Rockin'Steady

Offline Foisy

• View Profile
    • Email
The Dark Knight
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:00:51 AM »
I saw it too.. IMAX.. it was worth it (sooo good).. and I am not usually a fan of Batman!

I would say my fav part, but I don't want to ruin the coolness and unexpectedness of it!