Author Topic: No terrain parks at RCR resorts this year :(  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Skywalker

• Village Drunks
    • View Profile
    • http://thestompinggrounds.tripod.com
    • Email
No terrain parks at RCR resorts this year :(
« on: November 16, 2007, 08:00:07 PM »
What a fucking dumb idea!  Sure Jumps are dangerous... but so are cliffs, steep runs, moguls, etc.  Are they going to start blocking those of too?  Maybe in a few years we’ll all just have to ski green runs and have a ski patroller hold our hand the whole way down.  Why should they prevent people from taking on risk?  It’s pretty clear on the signage when you enter a terrain park that you are entering at your own risk.

I bloody hate society these days… you can’t do anything dangerous anymore.  Think back to when you were a kid all the crazy dangerous stuff you did that perents would never let their kids do anymore.  It’s a shame… society is going to end up with a bunch of overmedicated, underdeveloped, wussy ass kids who have no idea how to judge situations on their own because they will automatically assume that everything has been sanitised and safety-checked for them.

Wow… some built up Friday rage is coming out… I think I need an Advil now

-Shad

-------------------------------------------------------------
Resorts' ban on building jumps riles skiers, boarders

Trent Edwards  
Calgary Herald

Friday, November 16, 2007

Thousands of skiers and snowboarders are in an uproar over a Calgary-based ski resort chain's decision to stop building jumps in its terrain parks.

Resorts of the Canadian Rockies announced earlier this month there will be no manmade jumps in the terrain parks at any of its six resorts across Canada. Four of the resorts are frequented by southern Albertans: Lake Louise Mountain Resort, Nakiska Ski Area, Fernie Alpine Resort and Kimberley Alpine Resort.

Matt Mosteller, RCR's senior director of business development, said the company based its decision on "a strong moral obligation to not compromise the safety of our guests."

Injury statistics were not a factor in the decision, according to Mosteller: "You can clearly see that getting 30 feet off the ground is dangerous."

But two groups on the online social networking site Facebook.com -- Help Save Our Terrain Parks and Keep RCR Parks Open -- have sprung up to protest the decision. In less than a week, each of the groups has attracted almost 2,000 members.

Chris Witwicki, 25, started the Facebook group Help Save Our Terrain Parks on Nov. 8. Within a day, more than 700 Facebook members had joined up.

Terrain park users in each group are enraged by the decision, which comes months after most season passholders had bought their tickets under the assumption the resorts would have man-made jumps.

Nineteen-year-old Nate Vanderputt of Calgary is one of the members of Witwicki's Facebook group. He has been a season's passholder at Nakiska for two years, and is only keeping his season's pass this year because it's too late to take advantage of early bird offers at his other preferred resort.

"I don't see why (RCR) didn't make that decision before they started selling (season) passes this spring," Vanderputt says. "If I would have known that there wouldn't be any jumps, I would have gone to another mountain."

Mosteller says RCR did not make its decision to ban manmade jumps until Nov. 8 because management wanted to consult with its seasonal terrain park workers.

"Some of our staff didn't get here (from across Canada) until early November," he says.

Spokespeople for every other major ski area in Alberta -- Sunshine Village, Canada Olympic Park, Castle Mountain Resort and Marmot ski area -- say they plan to continue building manmade jumps this winter.

Mike Moynihan, a spokesman for Sunshine Village, says the resort is constantly reviewing on-mountain safety, but sees no reason to take jumps out of its terrain park.

"Kids are kids, and they want to go have fun on jumps," Moynihan says. "It's going to be safer if we build a controlled environment for them."

Mosteller says RCR will give a full refund to any season passholder upset by its decision to remove manmade jumps.

Offline Bob

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - humpfest@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.humpfest.ca
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:45:58 AM »
I agree. Society is too busy saving society to know what is good for it. All deaths on ski mountains are back country shit anyways, now more people are going to be heading that way.  Good thing facebook is on it, it will save the day.
Regal Hosting Services http://www.regalhosting.ca - Very Low Cost Web Hosting

Offline enndogger

• View Profile
    • http://www.bovineexperience.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 01:19:51 AM »
if wrists could smile, mine would be smiling.

Offline tominbc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »
All this coming from a guy that managed to damn near break his ankle in a thanksgiving football game, without a single person contributing to the fall.  If you're that fragile Shad maybe you shouldn't have the option of taking jumps from a 15 foot table top...don't get too mad now or your overdeveloped non-wussy lungs might collapse.

Offline Skywalker

• Village Drunks
    • View Profile
    • http://thestompinggrounds.tripod.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 06:50:52 PM »
Well... For your info... I did fracture it, and there were 3 people jumping for the same ball in the endzone when I did it!  So there!

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • http://www.humpfest.ca
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »
I personally couldn't care less about terrain parks.  My worry is if they start running around knocking over jumps that are on the regular runs.  That would piss me off.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some death to defy.