Author Topic: Hockey Pool?  (Read 54127 times)

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • http://www.humpfest.ca
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« on: January 19, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »
So I'm involved in a hockey pool here at school on a website called SportingNews.  It is a pretty decent salary cap game.  Basically you have $30 million and have to pick a roster of 7 players (4 forwards, 2 defence, and one goalie.  You get 2 trades a week every Thursday and player values change based on the market so you can actually end up with more than $30 million with smart picks to make better players.

The website has the regular season split into two.  Season 2 starts January 26th so if there was interest I could set up a private league for us and we could all join and compete.  For fun or cash I don't care.  Trouble is unless someone wanted to collect over yonder it would have to be on an IOU basis which likely wouldn't work so I'm leaning towards just for fun and bragging rights.

It is pretty easy and a minimal commitment, you can put as much work or as little as you want into research.  Let me know soon in this thread, even if there is just four of us we could do it.  I think it would be fun and give us something to trash talk about on the forum.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some death to defy.

Offline Aquabat

• Space Cowboys
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/infamousindustries
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »
Let's do it, and instead of $, as you deem it ineffective, we shall form humiliations, like Kennyvs.Spenny for the loser(s).

I am in!
I'm on Fire - And Now I Think I'm Ready,
To Bust a Move - Check it Out I'm Rockin'Steady

Offline Mikal

• A-Team
    • MSN Messenger - mikegoodwin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »
I'd play....to win
Only Jack Van Impe can save us now... PRAISE HIM!

Offline Jaron

• View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 09:52:40 PM »
count me in as well....but we all know mike will be in last place, and he will probably cry

Offline Bob

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - humpfest@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
You know you can count moi in.
Regal Hosting Services http://www.regalhosting.ca - Very Low Cost Web Hosting

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:08:34 PM »
Wicked, so we have at least five and maybe more.  I'm sure my bro and Shad will give it a shot.  As well Alston and Jami are obligated because that way they can learn more about the best sport in the world.  Plus they are at least guaranteed to beat Mike and Steve.

I'll set up the league tonight if I can and post the details so you can start thinking about your teams.

In response to Steve I'm not sure money is ineffective per se but it would be tough to collect anything from people before it starts.  And after it starts and I am leaving you all in my dust no one will want to pay.  So instead I figure it could just be for shits and trashing talking.  As well as bragging rights and fame.

So stay tuned for the details.

Offline Mikal

• A-Team
    • MSN Messenger - mikegoodwin@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:22:10 PM »
hey give me some credit. I'll at least beat prego Alston and Jami.
Only Jack Van Impe can save us now... PRAISE HIM!

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:37:28 PM »
Okay because there is at least a minimum of interest let's give it a shot.  This could be fun or a complete bust.  But it is free and I'll keep playing even if you all quit and then I'll pretend that I won.

The website is Sporting News:  http://www.sportingnews.com/

Basically go there and you have to create a Member Profile (which is free).  Near the top it should be pretty obvious where to click, the link that says Free Membership.  Fill out the shit there and I think you then wait for a confirmation email.

Anyway that is all basic stuff.  Once you are logged on you are going to have to sign up for the fantasy hockey and get in our league.  While logged in go to the NHL tab (correction you need to go to the Fantasy tab) and find somewhere that links you to Fantasy Hockey Challenge Season 2.  You may even be able to find it on the main page because they are advertising it at the moment.

When you get to this point it will prompt you to make a Team Name.  Now this is a bit different than your login name.  Basically on your account you can have multiple teams so you have to create a unique one for each sport/league whatever.  However, it can be the same as your login if you wish it.  So once again you need to pick a team name in addition to your profile/login name.  Though it can be the exact same.  I repeat this because a number of people had this issue out here.  Now I know for a fact that you people are smarter than law students so I don't expect too many problems.

After you have picked your team name you need to choose a league.  You can create a league, join an existing one, or get automatically placed somewhere.  You want to join a league.  It should then allow you to search the list for our league.  Here are the details.

League Name:  The Gong Show
Password:  gong

So once you do that you should appear on a page where you can see the other people in the pool.  I am already on there so the first other person should at least see something.  If anyone has any problems joining let me know here and I can see if I can prompt you.  I'll make another post in a bit providing details of how the game works if you want.  I know you can read the instructions but I may post again just in case.

You have until the 26th I think I said (check my first post in the thread).  After that you can still join but you will be behind in points from the get go.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:45:50 PM by Drew »

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
Okay because I have nothing better to do I'll post the gist of the game here.  I know you can all read and figure it out but this is just in case.  Plus, who knows it may even encourage someone to join once they see how easy it is.

Basically you make a team of seven players.  You have to have one Centre, 2 wingers, 2 defence, one goalie, and one extra attacker.  The extra attacker can be a winger or a centre, enabling you to have two centres or three wingers on your team.

You make this team with 30 million dollars.  Every player is given a value based on this last season and past performance.  Once the season starts on the 26th you start to get points from the players.  You can find a list of what points are awarded on the site.  Basically it is everything:  goals, assits, penalty minutes, shots on net, hits, saves for goalies, etc.

You aren't stuck with those players though.  Each week you are given 2 trades for free (Wednesday late at night after the games, so basically Thursday morning).  You can use the trades or save them up.  They will never expire if you want to save them until you need them.  The site gives you the option of purchasing trades, which is stupid.  Just to cover that we'll say that we aren't allowed to use that option or you will suffer severe ridicule.  Having only 2 a week makes things more interesting anyway.

You also are not restricted to 30 million.  Players values go up and down depending on how many people are picking them up or dumping them.  So as the year goes on your franchise value goes up, allowing you to pick up better players.

Also, no one will be able to see your team until after the first night.  After that when you make a trade no one can see it until the next day.  So that allows you to get the jump on people if your guy has a big night.  That is about all there is to it.  More indepth stuff is on the site.

Offline Jami

• The Girlfriends
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »
I will play!
I like chicken!

Offline Jaron

• View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 12:13:57 AM »
Ok Mike, you probably will beat prego Alston, but I'm still betting that you finish second to last! haha

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:25 AM »
I see your Team names and you people need help.  Oh I'm sure you realized this but you can make unlimited trades until the season starts.  So you can shuffle guys around for the next week until you like what you see.

Offline Jaron

• View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:30 AM »
I'm registered....

Offline Drew

• A-Team
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 12:24:57 AM »
With the most offensive name you can think of I see.

Offline Jaron

• View Profile
    • Email
Hockey Pool?
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »
Come on buddy, you know you love it. haha